Embassy/Consulate Addresses | Foreign Relations | Travel Advisories | Travel Tips | Customs/Duties


Diplomatic Representation in US
Ambassador: Gary Doer
Embassy: 501 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20001
Telephone: 202-682-1740
Fax: 202-682-7726

US Diplomatic Representation:

Ambassador: David C. Jacobson
Embassy: 490 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 1G8
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 866, Station B, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5T1
Telephone: 613-238-5335

Canadian Consulates are in:
San Diego
(Consulate-Trade Office)
402 West Broadway #400
San Diego, CA 92101.
(619) 615-4286

San Francisco
(Consulate-Trade Office)
580 California St, 14th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104.
(415) 834-3180

San Jose
(Consulate-Trade Office)
333 W. San Carlos St., Suite 945,
San Jose, CA 95110.
(408) 289-1157

First Union Financial Centre, 200 S. Biscayne Bl., Suite 1600,
Miami, FL 33131.
(305) 579-1600

(Consulate-Trade Office)
90 Westcott Rd.,
Princeton, NJ 08540.
(609) 252-0777

Consulates General are in:
Los Angeles
550 S. Hope St., 9th Floor,
Los Angeles, CA 90071.
(213) 346-2700

100 Colony Square, 1175 Peachtree St., Suite 1700,
Atlanta, GA 30361.
(404) 532-2000

2 Prudential Plaza, 180 N. Stetson Av., Suite 2400,
Chicago, IL 60601.
(312) 616-1860

3 Copley Pl., Suite 400,
Boston, MA 02116.
(617) 262-3760

600 Renaissance Ctr., Suite 1100,
Detroit, MI 48243-1798.
(313) 567-2340

701 4th Av., S., 9th Floor,
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1899.
(612) 333-4641

3000 Marine Midland Ctr., 30th Floor,
Buffalo, NY 14203-2884.
(716) 858-9500

New York
1251 Ave. Of The Americas,
New York,NY 10020.
(212) 596-1600

750 N. Saint Paul St., Suite 1700,
Dallas, TX 75201.
(214) 922-9806

Canadian Consulate General, Seattle
1501 4th Ave., Suite 600
Seattle, WA 98101
Tel (206) 443-1777; Fax (206) 443-9662

Embassy and Consulate Web Sites for Canada
Canadaian Embassy Washington, D.C. Web Site
Embassy of the United States in Canada
Canadian Consulate General in Boston, USA
Canadian Consulate General in New York, USA
Canadian Consulate General in Dallas, USA
Canadian Consulate General in Detroit, USA



The United States and Canada share two borders and their bilateral relationship is among the closest and most extensive in the world. It is reflected in the high volume of bilateral trade--the equivalent of $1.6 billion a day in goods--as well as in people-to-people contact. About 300,000 people cross between the countries every day by all modes of transport. In fields ranging from security and law enforcement to environmental protection to free trade, the two countries work closely on multiple levels from federal to local.

U.S. defense arrangements with Canada are more extensive than with any other country. The Permanent Joint Board on Defense provides policy-level consultation on bilateral defense matters and the United States and Canada share North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) mutual security commitments. U.S. and Canadian military forces cooperate on continental defense within the framework of the binational North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

The Beyond the Border initiative outlines a vision for perimeter security and economic competitiveness whereby the United States and Canada work in partnerships within, at, and away from our borders to achieve enhanced security and accelerate the legitimate flow of people, goods, and services between our two countries. The United States has several successful joint law enforcement programs with Canada such as the Integrated Border Enforcement Teams (IBET), Border Enforcement Security Taskforces (BEST), and the ShipRider Integrated Cross Border Maritime Law Enforcement program. Senior leadership engages in these efforts through fora such as the Cross Border Crime Forum (CBCF), which is chaired by the U.S. Attorney General and the Secretary of Homeland Security with their Canadian counterparts. As part of the Beyond the Border Action Plan, U.S. and Canadian officials are enhancing cross-border law enforcement radio interoperability and building on the successes of programs such as IBET, BEST, and ShipRider to develop the next generation of integrated cross-border law enforcement.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) conducts preclearance operations at eight Canadian airports, allowing air travelers to arrive at domestic terminals in the United States by screening and making admissibility decisions about U.S.-bound travelers and their accompanying goods or baggage prior to departure. The United States and Canada intend to enhance preclearance operations and expand them to also cover land, rail, and ferry/cruise travel as part of the Beyond the Border Action Plan.

The United States and Canada work together to resolve and manage transboundary environmental and water issues. A principal instrument of this cooperation is the International Joint Commission established under the 1909 Boundary Waters Treaty. Under the Columbia River Treaty, Canada and the United States jointly regulate and manage the Columbia River as it flows from British Columbia into the United States. The two countries cooperate on a range of bilateral fisheries issues and international high seas governance initiatives, and are both founding members of the Arctic Council.

The bilateral Clean Energy Dialogue is charged with expanding clean energy research and development; developing and deploying clean energy technology; and building a more efficient electricity grid based on clean and renewable energy in order to reduce greenhouse gases and combat climate change in both countries. Canada is an ally of the United States in international climate change negotiations. Canada participates in the U.S.-led Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate; the Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate, which aims to accelerate the development and deployment of clean energy technologies in major industrial sectors; and the International Carbon Sequestration Leadership Forum, which researches effective ways to capture and store carbon dioxide.

U.S. Assistance to Canada

The United States provides no foreign assistance to Canada.

Bilateral Economic Relations

The United States and Canada share the world's largest and most comprehensive trading relationship, which supports millions of jobs in each country. Canada is the single largest foreign supplier of energy to the United States. Recognition of the commercial viability of Canada's oil sands has made it the world's third largest holder of oil reserves after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela and is the only non-OPEC member in the top five. Canada and the United States operate an integrated electricity grid that meets jointly developed reliability standards, and they provide all of each other's electricity imports. Canadian uranium helps fuel U.S. nuclear power plants.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) among the United States, Canada, and Mexico aims to reduce trade barriers and establish agreed upon trade rules. It has resolved long-standing bilateral irritants and liberalized rules in several areas, including agriculture, services, energy, financial services, investment, and government procurement. The Regulatory Cooperation Council seeks to further stimulate trade by increasing regulatory transparency and cooperation between the United States and Canada and eliminating unnecessary regulatory differences and duplicative actions that hinder cross-border trade and investment.

Canada and the United States have one of the world's largest investment relationships. The United States is Canada's largest foreign investor, and Canada is the fifth-largest foreign investor in the United States. U.S. investment is primarily in Canada's mining and smelting industries, petroleum, chemicals, the manufacture of machinery and transportation equipment, and finance. Canadian investment in the United States is concentrated in finance and insurance, manufacturing, banking, information and retail trade, and other services.

Bilateral trade disputes are managed through bilateral consultative forums or referral to NAFTA or World Trade Organization (WTO) dispute resolution procedures. Canada has challenged U.S. trade remedy law in NAFTA and WTO dispute settlement mechanisms. The two countries negotiated the application to Canadian goods of "Buy American" provisions for state and local procurement under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The United States has encouraged Canada to strengthen its intellectual property laws and enforcement. Canada passed an important copyright law on June 28, 2012.

Canada's Membership in International Organizations

In addition to their close bilateral ties, Canada and the United States cooperate in multilateral fora, including international efforts to combat terrorist financing and money laundering. The two countries belong to a number of the same international organizations, including the United Nations, NATO, WTO, G8, G20, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Organization of American States, and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum. Canada accepted an invitation to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership regional trade agreement being negotiated among the United States and other countries.

Bilateral Representation

The U.S. Ambassador to Canada is David C. Jacobson; other principal embassy officials are listed in the Department's Key Officers List.

Canada maintains an embassy in the United States at 501 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20001 (tel. 202-682-1740).

More information about Canada is available from the Department of State and other sources, some of which are listed here:

Department of State Canada Page
Department of State Key Officers List
CIA World Factbook Canada Page
U.S. Embassy: Canada
History of U.S. Relations With Canada
Human Rights Reports
International Religious Freedom Reports
Trafficking in Persons Reports
Narcotics Control Reports
Investment Climate Statements
Office of the U.S. Trade Representative Countries Page
U.S. Census Bureau Foreign Trade Statistics
Export.gov International Offices Page
Travel and Business Information


To obtain the latest Travel Advisory Information for Canada check the U.S. State Department Consular Information Sheet


Driving U.S Driving Permit accepted
Currency (CAD) Canadian Dollar
Electrical 120 Volts
Telephones Country Code 1 City Code Toronto 289+7D, Quebec City 418+7D, Montreal 514+7D, Ontario 807+7D

You must be 19 years of age to consume or purchase alcohol in the province of British Columbia. The minimum age varies from province to province. Drinking alcohol in public is prohibited by law in all of Canada.

Like the USA, residential Canada uses 110 volt electrical systems at 60 hertz. You will need a voltage transformer/ converter for your electrical appliances if they operate on a different voltage. There are different types of converters for different types of appliances. Small electronics, razors and non-heating appliances can operate with a 50-watt converter. Heating appliances such as hair dryers, irons, coffee makers and other high-power electrical appliances need a 1600-watt converter. You can also purchase combination converters for both types. Mains wall sockets and plugs for 110 volts are two parallel flat blades. If those sockets are different from the ones used in your country then you will need a socket converter.

National Holidays
January 1 - New Year's Day
(January 2 - Day after New Year's)
Good Friday
Easter Monday
Monday on or before 24 May - Victoria Day
July 1 - Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day)
First Monday in September - Labor Day
Second Monday in October - Thanksgiving
November 11 - Remembrance Day
December 25 - Christmas Day
December 26 - Boxing Day

Canada is officially bilingual (English and French), however the working language in British Columbia is English.


Non-residents entering Canada:

Tobacco*...200 cigarettes and 50 cigars and 200g of loose tobacco
Liquor*...1.14L of spirits, 1.5L of wine,or 24 bottles or cans of beer.(8.5L)
*Applies only to passsengers over 18 yrs of age
Perfume....Reasonable amount
Cameras....No restrictions
Film.......Reasonable amount
Gifts......$60 Cad max per gift -excludes tobacco/liquor
Agricultural items/currency...Refer psgr to consulate

Residents returning to Canada:

After 24 hr absence...C$50
No Tobacco and Liquor

After 48 hr absence...C$400
Tobacco...200 Cigarettes and 50 Cigars and 200g of loose Tobacco.
Liquor....1.14L of spirits, 1.5L of wine,or 24 bottles or cans of beer.(8.5L)

After 7 days absence...C$750
Tobacco...200 Cigarettes and 50 Cigars and 200g of Tobacco
Liquor....1.14 litres of liquor or 1.5 litres of wine.

Former residents entering Canada:
1 year absence any articles owned for at least 6 months before return to Canada

Prohibited items:
The importation of firearms, explosives, endangered species or animals and plants, animal products, meat, food and plant material is subject to certain restrictions and formalities. The importation of fresh fruit is prohibited. Dogs and domestic cats may be imported from certain rabies-free countries (including the united kingdom and the republic of ireland) subject to certain restrictions and formalities (but note that rabies is present in Canada and pets will generally face quarantine on returning home).

Bringing Goods into Canada for Personal Use
Most things that you bring into Canada for your personal use during your visit will be considered "personal baggage" by Canada Customs. Some examples of personal baggage are food, fishing tackle, cars, boats and motors, snowmobiles, fuel, sports equipment, television sets, musical instruments, computers and cameras.

You are not allowed to carry a weapon, such as a firearm or mace or any other spray to be used against humans, for self-defence in Canada. There is more information about the restrictions on importing firearms to Canada below.

Canada Customs' chief concern is to establish that you really are bringing the goods in for your personal use. If you are going to be carrying large amounts of consumable products, such as food or fuel, please contact a Canada Customs office before you begin your trip to determine what special measures you should take.

You may also bring bona fide gifts worth up to Canadian $60 each for your friends in Canada without paying duty, provided these do not consist of tobacco or alcoholic beverages.

Information about Canada Customs & Revenue Agency, including excise and GST, is of a general nature only and is not intended to constitute advice for any specific situation. For particular questions, the reader is invited to contact Canada Customs

Restrictions on items for Personal Use

Those meeting the age requirements of the province or territory of entry (19 in most provinces; 18 in Alberta, Manitoba, and Québec) may bring into the country either:

1 liters (40 ounces) of liquor or wine; or
24 containers, at 355 milliliters (12 ounces) each, or their equivalent, of beer or ale Any alcohol in excess of these amounts will be subject to duty, provincial fees and taxes, except where it is illegal to bring in more alcohol than specified above.

Visitors meeting the age requirements of the province or territory of entry are allowed to bring the following amounts of tobacco into Canada without paying duty:

up to 200 cigarettes,
50 cigars,
200 grams (7 ounces) of loose tobacco
and 200 tobacco sticks.

Any additional quantities are subject to duties and provincial fees and taxes. Some provinces may also limit the total amount of tobacco that can be brought into their jurisdiction.

Drugs for Medical Use
Prescription drugs should be clearly identified and should be carried in the original packaging with a label that specifies both what they are and that they are being used under prescription. It is also a good idea to bring a copy of your prescription and a contact number for your doctor.

Diabetics and others who have to bring syringes with them should also carry some evidence of their need for using these.

Bringing Firearms into Canada
Canada has strict laws governing the cross-border movement, possession and use of firearms.

All goods, including firearms, must be declared to Canada Customs & Revenue Agency customs at the first point of entry.

A visitor may import a non-restricted firearm, such as a sporting rifle or shotgun, only for the following purposes:

* sporting or hunting use while in Canada
* bonafide competition use;
* transport though Canada to another country;
* protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada (excluding national parks) if the customs officer is satisfied that the circumstances warrant the firearm's importation.

No special documentation is currently required to import non-restricted firearms.

Handguns are classed as restricted firearms and may be imported only for use at approved shooting competitions. A Permit to Carry, which may be obtained from Canadian police agency, is required.

Requests for a Permit to Transport restricted firearms (e.g. most handguns) through Canada to other parts of the U.S., including Alaska, or another country are normally denied. Visitors should discuss their options with Canada Customs & Revenue Agency customs officials before leaving for Canada.

Certain handguns and all automatic weapons are classed as prohibited firearms and are banned from entering Canada. Severe penalities and confiscation apply to the possession of illegal firearms in Canada.

Before importing a firearm, you should check with a firearms officer for the Canadian province or territory you intend to enter. For more information and the addresses of these officials, see the brochure Importing a Firearm or Weapon into Canada, or Memorandum D19-13-2, Importation of Offensive Weapons. You may get both of these publications at any Canada Customs & Revenue Agency customs office.

The Government of Canada is actively reviewing possible changes to the rules for the importation of firearms. Prior to any visit, be sure to ask either customs or a provincial firearms officer as to whether new requirements have been put into place.

Radio Communication Equipment

If you have an American operator's licence, you may use your aircraft, marine or amateur radio while visiting Canada without a Canadian licence. All other types of radio transmitting stations may only be used in Canada if accompanied by a letter of registration from: Industry Canada's Radio Regulatory and Broadcasting Branch. Call (613) 998-3372 for more information.

Transporting Goods through Canada

Goods "in transit" to another country (but not handguns) may be brought through Canada. To facilitate your border crossings, you should carry three copies of a list of all the goods you are bringing with you, including values and serial numbers if applicable. Consumable goods, such as alcohol, tobacco and food, should be packed in containers that can be corded and sealed by Canada Customs at the time of entry.

Meetings, Conventions & Incentive Travel
Special arrangements are available for Companies wishing to hold business meetings or conventions in Canada. For a copy of the brochure Welcome to Canada-Your Guide to Bringing a Convention, Meeting, Trade Show, or Exhibition across the Canadian Border click here.

Booklets explaining aspects of Canada's goods and services tax (GST)/ harmonizing sales tax (HST) relevant to those holding business meetings or conventions are available. These include: GST / HST Information for Non-Resident Meeting Planners and Convention Organizers and How the GST / HST Applies to Non-Resident Incentive Travel Organizers. Call the GST / HST information line at (613) 990-8584 to order your copy.

Leaving Items in Canada between Visits
If you will be making more than one trip to Canada over a specific period of time and intend to leave goods in Canada between these visits, you must obtain an E99 permit from Canada Customs when you enter the country. Please note that boats, motors and boat trailers may only be left in Canada during the off-season if you are having maintenance or repair work done on them at a bona fide marina.

An E99 permit also enables you to leave your vehicle at an airport or marine terminal while you travel in Canada.

There are special measures in place for American residents who have purchased a cottage or other vacation home in Canada for use a sa seasonal residence or who have rented one on a three-year lease or longer. For more information, contact Canada Customs and ask for the brochure Seasonal Residents.

Regional Customs Offices

Trade Administration Services and Customs Border Services Offices will provide additional information about entry into Canada or bringing goods into Canada. Please contact the office that deals with the area of the country you are planning to visit.

Further information on Canada Customs & Revenue Agency's website

Information above excerpt from Embassy of Canada website

Back to Top