ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16 YEARS
1. Both parents or child's legal guardian must:
Present evidence of child's U.S. citizenship (One of the following):
1. Previously issued, undamaged US Passport.
2. Certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county or state.
3. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth.
4. Naturalization Certificate.
5. Certificate of Citizenship.
Present evidence they are the child's parents or guardian (One of the following):
1. Minors certified US Birth Certificate with BOTH parents' names.
2. Minors certified Foreign Birth Certificate with BOTH parents' names.
3. Minors Report of Birth Abroad with BOTH parents' names
4. Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names.
5. Court Order establishing custody.
6. Court Order establishing guardianship.
Show valid personal identification, and
Sign and take oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent.
2. If the second parent is not available, the appearing parent must Do as above, and print and complete the following form:
DS-3053: Statement of Consent - Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16
This form should be submitted, along with the DS-11 Application for Passport, for minors under age 16 as evidence of parental permission for the following reasons.
You are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to passport issuance for your child, or
You are an applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained
3. If no parent is available to sign, the third party in lieu parent must:
Appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or custodial parent(s) authoring the third party to apply for the passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent.
The law requires that all applications be signed under oath under the penalty of perjury.
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16 YEARS
All minor children applying for passports are required to appear in person at the local acceptance agency.